Tuesday, June 8, 2010

#88 - Man on a Silver Mountain

#88
Man on a Silver Mountain
Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow



I was driving to work this morning and couldn't bare listening to talk radio any more so I started playing one of my metal mixed CDs on random and seven songs in a row by the recently departed Ronnie James Dio. I kind of wanted to put a so-called "New Wave of British Heavy Metal" song and I despite the fact that this song is a few years earlier than the era of NWOBHM (and the fact that Dio was American) its close enough. And hence we have Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow's Man on a Silver Mountain.

It is a great song for strutting and tossing up devil horns. The song is about rock stars being everything to their fans, but they need their fans to make them worshiped. Basically the same relationship that the star and paparazzo have in Lady Gaga's Papparazzi. I think this was Dio's first "big" song before his career took off with Black Sabbath and then as a solo artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment